[SciPy-User] Question about gaussian_kde

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 13:48:01 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Jorge Scandaliaris
<jorgesmbox-ml at yahoo.es> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am using gaussian_kde mainly to visualize the distribution of some 2D
> measurements. It works ok but there's something I don't understand. When I
> evaluate the estimated pdf, the peaks have values larger than one. If I use
> integrate_box(), however, the results seem correct. How should I normalize the
> values obtained from evaluate? Dividing by the number of datapoints?

pdf is a density function on continuous support, there is no
requirement that it has any bounded value.
It only needs to integrate to one, and be non-negative

Only the pmf of discrete distributions is required to  have values
smaller than one.

Josef