[SciPy-User] Interpolation of function on a line vs 2D interpolation

igor Halperin ighalp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 02:03:40 EDT 2010

Hi Robert,

On your questions:

> Why would you use meshgrid? Can you show us the code you are trying?
> It might be easier to see the problems that way.

My bad. I glanced through examples in the cookbook and thought that
interpolate.bisplev needs to pass matrices rather than 1D arrays, which is
not the case, hence was my confusion.

> No, not really. You will not get sensible results if you try that.

You are right. Even though I do formally have a function defined on a line,
this line does not have a structure, and thus I would not get sensible
results in this way.
I realized it after submitting the original question. My attempt to
reformulate it as a line interpolation problem was due to my
misinterpretation of the usage of function
interpolate.bisplev per above.

Looks like all I needed to do were these two standard lines of code:

tck = interpolate.bisplrep(sValsOnReducedSet[:,0],
                                    sValsOnReducedSet[:,1],
                                    optValsOnReducedSet,s=0)

optValsOnFullSet =
interpolate.bisplev(sValsOnFullSet[:,0],sValsOnFullSet[:,1],tck)

Thanks a lot for your help!
Igor