[SciPy-User] Error in constants documentation?

Arthur M. Greene amg at iri.columbia.edu
Tue Apr 6 16:08:53 EDT 2010

It would seem that there is some confusion, in the
constants.html, between force and mass...

Strictly speaking, kg is a unit of mass, Newton a unit
of force. Weight is force, not mass: A gold brick
floating in interstellar space is weightless but still
massive.  Pounds and kilograms can be equated, but only
in some specified gravitational field (like at the
surface of the earth, where we usually weigh things).
So mass is the more fundamental quantity, since it does
not depend on gravity for its value. In Imperial units
(feet, pounds) the unit of mass is the slug:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_(mass). This is
absent from the constants page.

Regards,

AMG