[SciPy-User] How to create multi-page tiff files with python tools?

Sebastian Haase seb.haase at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 10:17:40 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Ralf Gommers
<ralf.gommers at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Sebastian Haase <seb.haase at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'm working with EMCCD microscopy images where 16-bit-int data is very
>> important. I think the patches in Priithon and Zach's should be
>> identical or at least equivalent. I think the upcoming 1.1.7 PIL will
>> also include all of these patches.
>
> Thanks, I will give it a try, and if I have any more questions I'll ask on
> the Priithon list.
>

>> There was a discussion about "forking" out the basic image I/O from
>> PIL, but generally people are against the idea of "working against"
>> the main PIL. The upcoming 1.1.7 also seems to alleviate many concerns
>> for the time beeing.
>
> You wouldn't have to call it "working against", and could make a serious
> effort to contribute changes back. Looking from the outside, PIL is still
> barely breathing. I just went and checked their bitbucket repo, and 1.1.7
> was tagged two months ago. Still no formal release, nor any code committed
> in the last 4 months.......

I think the problem is that Frederick Lundh is the only one who has
permission to add/change code base.
I still find it very suspicious that somewhere on the PIL website it
states that you can pay (a lot of money) for a "special license" to
get early  access to the development version - so even you are
providing (free) patches via the mailing list, you would have to pay
to get access to the patched version !?
A couple months ago I asked for an explanation but didn't get a reply.

However, don't forget. I think many people are using PIL and it just
works for them - that could also be the reason if there is no noise

Cheers,
Sebastian Haase