[SciPy-User] solving large sparse linear system with Laplacian matrix

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Fri Oct 30 14:35:25 EDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 02:13:03PM -0400, Jonathan Guyer wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2009, at 5:46 AM, Gael Varoquaux wrote:

> > Any chance there might be something useful in pysparse? That would
> > remove
> > the wrapping work.

> I don't think PySparse has any facilities for multiple RHS. Don't know
> about PyTrilinos.

Hi Jon,

The problem Emmanuelle has here really is solving an anistropic diffusion
equation on a big grid. This can be seen as a PDE problem. Do you have
any suggestions on good linear algebra or iterative options to do this
with Python? We have not looked at FiPy so far, as it seems tedious to
formulate the problem in PDE terms.

Cheers,

Gaël