[SciPy-User] Kuiper test (was Re: scipy.stats.fit inquiry)

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 22:48:42 EDT 2009

2009/10/28  <josef.pktd at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Anne Archibald
> <peridot.faceted at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I put the Kuiper test (and come other non-uniformity tests) up on github:
>> http://github.com/aarchiba/kuiper/
>> I'd like to clean up the tests somewhat (to reduce the code
>> duplication between test_kuiper, test_htest, and test_zm2) before
>> proposing any of it be included in scipy.
>
> Also docstrings about the purpose of htest and zm2 would be
> helpful. I have no idea.

Ahem. Yes, the code was pretty impenetrable without them. Sorry about
that! I lose my (few) good coding habits very easily when there's a
proposal due.

> zm2 or Zm2 ?

That's a good question. The test is usually written in LaTeX as
$Z_m^2$, so in a sense Zm2 would be more natural, but it's not pep8
(and I'm really used to caps indicating a class by now).

> In most cases (I think), we switched to non-random random tests in
> stats by fixing a seed. It won't test any new cases, but in last years
> discussion that seemed to be the preferred way.

That's a good point too. Do you set the seed in a per-function setup,
or just once per module? The latter seems simpler and saner but in
principle it introduces interrelations between tests. How
deterministic is nosetests? (e.g. does it always run all the tests in
a file in the same order no matter how or when it runs them?) I guess
running single tests will give them different random numbers than
running the module as a whole... anyway, seeding once per module
should be enough to avoid end users being bitten by statistical
failures.

Anne