[SciPy-User] [SciPy-user] Incomplete SciPy (probably related to LAPACK), help requested.

Daniel Cotton daniel.cotton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 11:41:37 EDT 2009

I am currently driving myself crazy with a Python 2.5.1 installation problem
on a remote linux (scientific linux) machine administered by an admin. The
machine uses gcc 3.4.5 and needs to be kept at this level for other
software.

Basically I get this error:

>>> from scipy import interpolate
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
 File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/interpolate/__init__.py",
line 13, in <module>
   from rbf import Rbf
 File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/interpolate/rbf.py",
line 47, in <module>
   from scipy import linalg
 File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linalg/__init__.py",
line 8, in <module>
   from basic import *
 File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linalg/basic.py",
line 24, in <module>
   from scipy.linalg import calc_lwork
ImportError: cannot import name calc_lwork

Or this one:

>>> from scipy.interpolate import interp1d
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
 File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/interpolate/__init__.py",
line 13, in <module>
   from rbf import Rbf
 File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/interpolate/rbf.py",
line 47, in <module>
   from scipy import linalg
 File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linalg/__init__.py",
line 8, in <module>
   from basic import *
 File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linalg/basic.py",
line 389, in <module>
   import decomp
 File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linalg/decomp.py",
line 23, in <module>
   from blas import get_blas_funcs
 File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linalg/blas.py",
line 14, in <module>
   from scipy.linalg import fblas
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/linalg/fblas.so:
undefined symbol: _gfortran_compare_string

when I try and import SciPy's interpolate function.

Thinking the problem related to the BLAS installation used by python (where
the following two links detail the issue),

http://www.scipy.org/FAQ#head-8371c35ef08b877875217aaac5489fc747b4aceb
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.user/12145

I had my network administraot reinstall LAPACK. He installed them to
/usr/local/lapack and apparently everything went fine.

At this point I still got the same errors but it seemed to me that Python
wasn't looking in the right spot, so I tried reconfiguring the PYTHONPATH
for a session. Adding /usr/local/lapack/lapack seemed to get rid of some of
the errors but not all (I haven't been able to remember how I did this). I
got the impression that python's internal modules needed to know to look in
those directores for things related to lapack and just having it in the path
wasn't sufficient.

Some further searching revealed these set of instructions:

http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/errata.html#completelp

So, I had my Network admin do that too. He said he did that and I still have
the same problem. Any suggestions you can offer would be much appreciated.

I need to be able to give my Network admin instructions as to what to do,
and both he and I are Python novices; plus he is busy and it takes a day or
two for him to get to my problem, so please be explicit and as complete as
possible. The machine python is installed on is used by many people so I
don't have access to anything approaching a high level, and the network
admin is going to want a good reason before he does anything drastic that
could affect other users.

Daniel.