[SciPy-User] Use of MPI in extension modules

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 11 12:01:47 EST 2009

Hello,

I have a rather basic question about using (C++) extension modules with
ipython. Sorry if this is the wrong list for this.

I'm working on a signal & image processing library that uses MPI
internally. I'd like to provide a Python interface to it, so I can
integrate it into SciPy. With 'normal' Python this all works nicely.
Just recently I have started to consider parallelism, i.e. I want to use
the library's internal parallelism, by running it with ipython in parallel.
My assumption was that all the engines started via 'ipcluster mpiexec
..." would already have MPI_Init called, and thus, my extension modules
would merely share the global MPI state with the Python interpreter.
That doesn't seem to be the case, as I either see all my module
instances report rank 0, or, if I don't call MPI_Init, get a failure on
the first MPI call I do.

Can anybody help ? Do I need to initialize MPI myself in my extension
module ?
Any pointers are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
          Stefan