[SciPy-User] poisson distribution in scipy.stats

Davide Cittaro davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus.it
Mon Nov 9 16:21:59 EST 2009

On Nov 9, 2009, at 10:03 PM, scipy-user-request at scipy.org wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:00:29 -0600
> From: Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [SciPy-User] poisson distribution in scipy.stats
> To: SciPy Users List <scipy-user at scipy.org>
>
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 14:58, Davide Cittaro
> <davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus.it> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> about the poisson generator... given l (expected) and k (found) I
>> guess that
>> the way to get the probability of k I have to do this:
>>
>> d = scipy.stats.poisson(l)
>> p = pmf(k)
>
> Correct.
>
>> which I found being the same of
>> p = scipy.stats.poisson.pmf(l, k)
>
> Also correct.

Although I've just plotted values and they are sligthly different...
the second version does have only a max value at l, whereas the first
has two maxima (l and l-1)

>> I've here some code in which it is written:
>> d = scipy.stats.poisson(l, k)
>
> That one is completely wrong.

Ok, I see... It looks like it shifts the pmf of k... but how does it
works? I mean, how the discrete distribution constructor interprets
this kind of declaration?

/*
Davide Cittaro

Cogentech - Consortium for Genomic Technologies
via adamello, 16
20139 Milano
Italy

tel.: +39(02)574303007