[SciPy-user] Inconsistent function calls?

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Thu May 21 17:11:31 EDT 2009

On 21-May-09, at 11:58 AM, Robert Kern wrote:

>  I'd personally be quite happy to drop it, but we do have to
> maintain some amount of backwards compatibility, so you do have to
> deal with the warts accumulated by history.

+1 on being happy to drop them.

I am routinely tempted into using rand() and randn() instead of
random() and random.normal and then I forget which things want tuples
and which things want regular arguments.

matplotlib.mlab seems like the most reasonable place for Matlab
compatibility functions, that behave "the Matlab way" as opposed to
"the NumPy way" as they've already got plenty (find() is basically a
poor man's which(), etc.). NumPy's goal should be consistency, I think.

Opinions may vary, of course, and it depends whether the matplotlib
guys mind taking NumPy's impure castoffs.

David