[SciPy-user] [Numpy-discussion] scipy 0.7.1 rc3

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sat Jun 13 08:30:40 EDT 2009

josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:

> with 0.7.1 I get the 300 skip known failures

I don't remember the details, but there was an intersection on quite a
few problems, that is another distutils wart (which exits the process
through System.exit() in some weird cases, and there is no way around it
except not executing the corresponding code), some problems with
subprocess on windows, and mingw problems. I don't know why it used to
work on 0.6.0 compared to 0.7.0.

> For some time now, I have the problem that some build scripts with
> setup.py don't use mingw as compiler even though I have it specified
> in distutils.cfg, and they don't find a non-existing microsoft
> compiler.
> But I have no idea whether this is related to numpy distutils or any
> other changes that happened to my python 2.5 install.

I don't know either. Frankly, all this code to detect compilers is such
a mess in distutils and numpy.distutils, and it depends so much on the
configuration (whether you have some version of Visual Studio or not,
and it of course depends on the python version) that I consider the
problem to be intractable, at least for someone like me who don't spend
its time on windows. I don't have a better answer :)

David