[SciPy-User] Curse of recursive directory walking

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 19:25:50 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Gökhan SEVER<gokhansever at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:48 AM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> To me it looks more like it is a problem with relative file paths and
>> changing directories and not with recursion.
>> I never had problems with os.walk or any home made recursive directory
>> walker, but I always used absolute paths.
>>
>> from the python 2.5 docs
>>
>> Note: If you pass a relative pathname, don't change the current
>> working directory between resumptions of walk(). walk() never changes
>> the current directory, and assumes that its caller doesn't either.
>>
>> Josef
>

> I have one more question on os.walk()
>
> For some reason while this function working on my local folders I walks
> through them in a randomly manner. However when I run the same script on a
> network mounted drive (using the same directory structure) it walks through
> them in an alphabetically sorted order.
>
> Have you encountered a similar behaviour before?

I only use windows, and it looks like I get windows fileordering,
alphabetically, independent of capitalization, and not capitalized
names sorted first. So I assume that the ordering depends on the
operating system.

to get deterministic ordering, inplace sorting should be possible, but
I never tried
python help: When topdown is true, the caller can modify the dirnames
list in-place

help for os.listdir says about the list of directory entries:  "The
list is in arbitrary order"

Josef