[SciPy-user] Automating Matlab

David Warde-Farley dwf at cs.toronto.edu
Sat Jan 31 20:49:32 EST 2009

On 31-Jan-09, at 8:06 PM, Eric Schug wrote:

> Is there strong interest in automating matlab to numpy conversion?

I think there is a strong interest in this. One of the main obstacles
to changing environments is inertia and familiarity. My advisor
repeatedly expresses his wish to give Python another try, and having
an easy way to show him how his existing scripts translate would be
awesome.

Of course there are caveats, corner cases where such translations will
fail, but a fairly foolproof method of converting simple scripts would
be just fantastic. I imagine if you've gotten further along than
previous attempts you'll receive a lot of street cred on this list and
probably a lot of patches to make things work better. :)

David