[SciPy-user] SciPy and GUI

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Mon Jan 26 09:57:57 EST 2009

> On one hand, I am already using matplotlib and the timeseries toolkit
> extensively in scripts so I'm familiar with them and know that they can
> make pretty much any type of plot I need. Also matplotlib has a large
> community.

Matplotlib is excellent for plotting, but its disadvantage is lack of
speed when the data sets are large. I have seen matplotlib spend 5 minutes
to plot a digitized signal, whereas OpenGL could do the same in an
eye-blink. But yes, matplotlib creates very nice looking graphics, and
it's pylab interface is familiar enough to old Matlab users like myself.

As I said in a previous post, Matplotlib and wxPython can easily be
integrated. There is examples of this on the Matplotlib website.

S.M.