[SciPy-user] SciPy and GUI

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Sun Jan 25 05:05:56 EST 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:40:39AM +0100, Lorenzo Isella wrote:
> I hope this is not too off-topic. Given you Python code, relying on
> SciPy for number-crunching, which tools would you use to create a GUI
> in order to allow someone else to use it, without his knowing much (or
> anything) about scipy and programming?I know Python is great for this,
> but I do not know of anything specific.

I would use traits (see
http://code.enthought.com/projects/traits/documentation.php, and
http://code.enthought.com/projects/traits/docs/html/tutorials/traits_ui_scientific_app.html
for documentation and a tutorial)

The pro of traits is that it is really easy to use, and enforces good
software design.

The cons are that it is still not as mainstream as we would like. As a
result it is not installed on all computers. It is however shipped with
both major scientific Python distribution (python(x,y) and ETS), as well
as in ubuntu as debian, mandriva, and is currently being packaged for
fedora.

Gaël