[SciPy-user] PyQtShell

Pierre Raybaut contact at pythonxy.com
Sun Jan 18 13:29:10 EST 2009

Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:17:41 -0500
> From: Ken Dere <kpdere at verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [SciPy-user] PyQtShell
> To: scipy-user at scipy.org
> Cc: pyqt at riverbankcomputing.com
>
> Pierre Raybaut wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to share with you this little open-source project of mine,
>> PyQtShell:
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyQtShell/
>> http://code.google.com/p/pyqtshell/
>>
>> I've just started it a few days ago and I worked on it only a couple of
>> hours at home this week and saturday morning... so do not expect a
>> revolution here.
>> But I thought that some of you might be interested in contributing or
>> simply testing it.
>>
>> Here is an extract from the Google Code website:
>>
>> PyQtShell is intended to be an extension to PyQt4 (module PyQt4.QtShell)
>> providing a console application (see screenshots below) based on
>> independent widgets which interact with each other:
>>     - QShell, a Python shell with useful options (like a '-os' switch
>> for importing os and os.path as osp, a '-pylab' switch for importing
>> matplotlib in interactive mode, ...) and advanced features like code
>> completion (requires QScintilla, i.e. module PyQt4.Qsci)
>>     - CurrentDirChanger: shows the current directory and allows to change
>>     it
>> Not implemented :
>>     - GlobalsExplorer: shows globals() list with some properties for
>> each global (e.g. value for int or float, min and max values for arrays,
>> ...) and allows to open an appropriate GUI editor
>>     - and other widgets: FileExplorer, CodeEditor, ...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pierre
>>

> Looks interesting.  Can you run ipython inside?

The current release does not support IPython -- the main reason being
that I'm not using IPython so much.
I think that it should be quite easy to add this feature to PyQtShell.
But I won't have enough time to spend on this project to add features
that I'm not directly interested about. That's why I mentioned the
project here, to find contributors eventually.

I've just released another version with a lot of new features -- e.g. a
MATLAB-like workspace (with array editor and list/dict editor), an
history log, a multiline editor, ...

See for example:
http://www.pythonxy.com/screenshot2.PNG