[SciPy-user] matrix inversion time (Python vs MATLAB)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sat Jan 10 11:32:38 EST 2009

Sturla Molden wrote:

>> Yes. Windows has no reliable way that I know of to link several binaries
>> against one library (if you have foo/bar.dll and foo/bar/fubar.dll which
>> link against libbla.dll, libbla.dll must be in both foo and foo/bar
>> directories, or in a system directory).
>>

> Instead of using a static link library to connect with the DLL, you can
> use LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress in windows.h to load the exported DLL
> functions. You just need to specify the DLL name and method names as a
> text strings. Another option is to use a COM object.

But LoadLibrary has the same semantics as the windows dynamic loader, so
I am not sure what this would change - except that we would have to
first rewrite all our code which uses external libraries to load them
explicitly (which would be useful on its own, though). And this does not
solve the problem of manifests, and security restrictions in Vista,
which I don't claim to understand, but know from the Python-dev ML that
they cause big headache for people who know more than me about windows
(which granted is not that difficult).

I would be happy to get patches to make the procedure usable, workable
with all the used MS compilers and mingw, on both windows XP and VISTA,
if it is that easy, though :)

cheers,

David