[SciPy-user] Multiprocessing, GUIs and IPython

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 18:07:03 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 15:00, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> What experience have others had with using multiprocessing in these
> contexts.  Success?  Failure?  Based on that, what to other people
> recommend and think about using multiprocessing in scipy or numpy?

Well, no one should be doing any parallel stuff in scipy by default.
I.e. a serial version of an algorithm should always be available. I
have no problem with people putting in parallel algorithms in addition
with whatever libraries they think are needed. We shouldn't impose any
extra dependencies, so we should treat these like we treat the
optional plotting helper functions that we have in
scipy.stats.morestats.

Pretty much all of the parallelizing libraries impose potential
incompatibilities; multiprocessing isn't exceptional in this regard.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco