[SciPy-user] Problem with scipy.linalg and LAPACK.

Michael Abshoff michael.abshoff at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 10 09:53:06 EST 2009

John Hanks wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 7:16 AM, David Cournapeau
> <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>> John Hanks wrote:

Hi John,

> I went back and rebuilt everything from LAPACK 3.1.1 and forward and
> still get the same error.
>
> Here's my compiler settings:
>
> ATLAS (from Make.inc)
>    ICC = gcc
>    ICCFLAGS = $(CDEFS) -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=387 -O2
> -falign-loops=4 -fPIC -m64
>    SMC = gcc
>    SMCFLAGS = -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=387 -O2 -falign-loops=4 -fPIC -m64
>    DMC = gcc
>    DMCFLAGS = -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=387 -O2 -falign-loops=4 -fPIC -m64
>    SKC = gcc
>    SKCFLAGS = -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=387 -O2 -falign-loops=4 -fPIC -m64
>    DKC = gcc
>    DKCFLAGS = -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=387 -O2 -falign-loops=4 -fPIC -m64
>    XCC = gcc
>    XCCFLAGS = $(CDEFS) -O -fomit-frame-pointer -fPIC -m64
>    F77 = gfortran
>    F77FLAGS = -fomit-frame-pointer -mfpmath=387 -O2 -falign-loops=4 -fPIC -m64
>    SMAFLAGS = -fno-tree-loop-optimize
>    DMAFLAGS = -fno-tree-loop-optimize
>
> LAPACK (from make.inc)
>     FORTRAN  = gfortran
>     OPTS     = -O2 -fPIC -m64
>     DRVOPTS  = $(OPTS)
>     NOOPT    = -O0 -fPIC -m64
>     LOADER   = gfortran
>     LOADOPTS =
>
> The numpy and scipy setup finds gfortran and produces a mostly
> functional scipy install except for the undefined symbol error.

Hi, did you set the CFLAGS or did ATLAS pick them for you? I have seen
scipy throw import errors in certain situation when I needed to set some
flags for the Fortran compiler to build 64 bit code if it defaulted to a
32 bit target. If your toolchain produces 32 bit binaries per default
there are a couple files in Scipy 0.6 that are not build cleanly  via
distutils, but that pick the Fortran compiler like gfortran directly and
you end up attempting to link 32 bit object files into a 64 bit lib.
This passes at link time, but blows up on import.

> Thanks,
>
> jbh

Cheers,

Michael