[SciPy-user] shared memory machines

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 18:23:32 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 17:19, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 06:24:18PM +0100, Sturla Molden wrote:
>> > Am I out of my mind, and will this fail utterly?
>
>> It will work. But we should use named shared memory (which requires some C
>> or Cython coding), not BSD mmap as mp.Array currently does. Also we must
>> override how ndarrays are pickled.
>
> I just wanted to say that I am still interested in exploring this a bit
> deeper, but I got swamped suddenly. Besides, as Robert and you have sown,
> there is more than I thought to it.

BTW, Philip Semanchuk, the maintainer of the aforementioned shm
module, contacted Sturla and myself offlist to point out two, more
up-to-date, modules which provide named shared memory on UNIX systems:

  http://semanchuk.com/philip/sysv_ipc/
  http://semanchuk.com/philip/posix_ipc/

--
Robert Kern