[SciPy-user] shared memory machines

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 01:51:51 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 00:38, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> I think I should write empty_shmem, to complete hide the multiprocessing
> Array, delete my useless SharedMemArray class, integrate your number of
> processor function, and recirculate my code, if it is OK with you. In a
> few iterations we can propose this for integration in numpy.

Here's mine, FWIW. It goes down directly to the multiprocessing.heap
code underlying the Array stuff. On Windows, the objects transfer via
pickle while under UNIX, they must be inherited. Windows mmap objects
can be pickled while UNIX mmap objects can't. Like Sturla says, we'd
have to use named shared memory to get around this on UNIX.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco