[SciPy-User] [SciPy-user] 3D interpolation

Burak1327 burak.o.cankurtaran at alumni.uts.edu.au
Sat Dec 26 18:29:04 EST 2009

Hi,

I have a 3D array of data with dimensions (40x40x40). The majority of data
consists of zeros
with a relative handful of negative numbers (all between -3115 to -3020).
I've been attempting to interpolate this data to a grid of 80x80x80
dimensions.
I want to interpolate the existing data for points in between the existing
points.
The newly interpolated results seem to be incorect. There are now large
positive numbers and
the new minimum value is much lower than the from the coarser grid dataset.
I probably have
misunderstood the purpose of the coordinates variable in map_coordinates().

I've listed a snippet of the code below:

# Read the PES data
pes40 = ReadPES("pes-0.5-noopt.xsf", 40)

# Interpolation
newx,newy,newz = mgrid[0:40:0.5, 0:40:0.5, 0:40:0.5]
coords = array([newx, newy, newz])
pes80 = ndimage.map_coordinates(pes40, coords)

Thanks
Burak