[SciPy-User] ubuntu's PYTHONPATH and installing scipy

Chris Colbert sccolbert at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:17:48 EST 2009

i had this same problem when trying to use my own built-from-scratch
numpy while still needing system numpy as dependency.

In debian, /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/dist-packages will appear on sys.path
BEFORE /usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/dist-packages (which is where I
install my source-built stuff).

I solved this by creating a $HOME/.local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages
directory (which WILL be on sys.path before the others) and inserting
a .pth file with my local directory. Since this dir is searched by
python before /usr/lib/... it reads the .pth file and thus adds my
local dir to sys.path before anything else.

I found this a cleaner solution than editing .bashrc or any other
variant because those only work when your in a shell environment.

Cheers,

Chris