[SciPy-User] ANN: graph-tool, a package for graph analysis and manipulation

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Thu Dec 3 16:00:53 EST 2009

On 12/3/2009 11:11 AM, Tiago de Paula Peixoto wrote:
> I have the feeling you would not criticize quite as much,
> if I had made the library proprietary.

Making this library proprietary would of course
be the fastest way to kill it outright.  So that
is a red herring.

But just to be clear, I am not "criticizing" at all.  As I
said, we all understand that each developer chooses his/her
own license on any criteria s/he chooses, naturally.

However I still believe that you miscast the
issues.  You worry unrealistically that your
code could be modified by someone who will refuse
to share the modifications, and you do not worry
enough about licensing your code in a way that makes
it useless to the bulk of the community you announced
it to. (I.e., the SciPy community.)

At least, that is how it appears from your statements to
date.  (Not that you are under any obligation to explain
your reasoning about this, *naturally*.)

Cheers,
Alan Isaac