[SciPy-User] ANN: graph-tool, a package for graph analysis and manipulation

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Thu Dec 3 10:07:39 EST 2009

On 12/3/2009 9:29 AM, Tiago de Paula Peixoto wrote:
> Why shouldn't it? If the BGL developers wanted to avoid this, they would
> have used another licence.

Yes of course the BGL developers allowed this freedom.
My question is, when you are leaning so heavily on
the BGL, why don't you feel some inclination to
follow their generous lead and continue with the
less restrictive licensing they adopted?

On 12/3/2009 9:29 AM, Tiago de Paula Peixoto wrote:
> As for my own stuff, I prefer the GPL, to
> avoid additional restrictions.

I do not understand.  As this conversation makes clear,
the GPL is the *source* of the additional restrictions.
Which of course is why I asked: such restrictive licensing
makes the code useless for many on this list.

Naturally (!!), each of us should choose the license we find
appropriate.  I only bothered to ask since you posted this
to a list for software that is committed to liberal licensing,
*not* to the restrictions of the GPL, and I have found that many
people pick the GPL by default rather than thinking through
the implications.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac