[SciPy-User] SciPy under Windows 7 (x64)

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 20:27:07 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Donovan Parks <donovan.parks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently moved to Windows 7 (x64) and am having trouble with SciPy
> (or perhaps NumPy). I'm using Python 2.6.4, the
> scipy-0.7.1-win32-superpack-python2.6.exe for SciPy, and the
> numpy-1.4.0rc1-win32-superpack-python2.6.exe for NumPy. A simple
> example of SciPy/NumPy not working is as follows:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>  File "D:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\__init__.py", line
> 7, in <module>
>    from stats import *
>  File "D:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\stats.py", line 203,
> in <module>
>    from morestats import find_repeats #is only reference to scipy.stats
>  File "D:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\morestats.py", line
> 7, in <module>
>    import distributions
>  File "D:\Python26\lib\site-packages\scipy\stats\distributions.py",
> line 27, in <module>
>    import vonmises_cython
>  File "numpy.pxd", line 30, in scipy.stats.vonmises_cython
> (scipy\stats\vonmises_cython.c:2939)
> ValueError: numpy.dtype does not appear to be the correct type object
>
> Do I need to build NumPy and SciPy from source for them to work under
> Windows 7 (x64)? or is there a way I can use easy_install?
>
> Cheers,
> Donovan

David will know better, but can you try scipy-0.7.1 with numpy 1.3. to
see whether this combination works on Windows 7 and to see whether
your error is numpy 1.4.0 related? (I'm still not convinced that
binary compatibility hasn't been broken.)

On WindowsXP compiling scipy trunk against numpy 1.4 work so far
without problems (but I have problems with crashes of matplotlib which
is compiled against an older numpy.)

I had a similar error a while ago when scipy compiled against an
earlier version wasn't binary compatible with numpy trunk.

Josef