[SciPy-user] Building Python, Numpy and Scipy with Intel compilers and MKL

Craig Finch oanjao at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 22 18:31:08 EDT 2009

 I'm trying to build Python, Numpy, and SciPy on a Red Hat system using the Intel Fortran, C, and C++ compilers, along with the Intel Math Kernel Library.  This is proving to be difficult--I've tried everything I could find on the web, and it's still not working (everything works fine if I use GCC).  I would really appreciate any suggestions.

I can get Python and Numpy working correctly after compiling with Intel compilers, but I can't import anything from SciPy without getting an "undefined symbol" error.  According to what I've read, this can happen when gfortran is used to compile some library (such as BLAS) while Intel fortran is used to compile SciPy.  I don't think this is my problem, because I'm only using the Intel Math Kernel Libraries.  Is this correct?

Here's my latest attempt at installation:
Python install:
CC='icc'
CXX='icc' LDFLAGS='-L/opt/intel/cce/10.1.008/lib' CFLAGS='-I/opt/intel/cce/10.1.008/include' CXXFLAGS='-I/opt/intel/cce/10.1.008/include' ./configure -prefix=/home/me

Numpy install:
python setup.py config --compiler=intel --fcompiler=intel install --home=/home/me

Scipy install:
python
setup.py config --compiler=intel --fcompiler=intel build_ext
--fcompiler=intel -L/opt/intel/cce/10.1.008/lib  install --home=/home/me

Here's something that bothers me: when I start my Python interpreter which was compiled with icc, this is what I see:
Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Apr 22 2009, 15:52:10)

Why
does the interpreter think it's built with GCC?  Can that be causing
problems with SciPy?  How can I ensure that only Intel libraries are
used?

    Craig