[SciPy-user] building 64bit scipy

Dan Yamins dyamins at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 12:25:28 EDT 2009

> Just copy and paste the given command in the terminal - or better,
> install numpy first from svn, so that you don't need any other
> command.

So I did try to do this.  But the command fails if you first put "sudo" in
front of it.   I needed to run it sudo (otherwise the final stage of copying
over the built things to the target directory would fail).   Hence, I
thought perhaps that this wasn't actually a command and I had misinterpreted
it.

But what works is that to just run the command you said first, and then run
"sudo python26 setup.py install", e.g.

>>>  LDFLAGS="-arch x86_64 -undefined dynamic_lookup -bundle" FFLAGS="-arch
x86_64 -O2 -Wall -fPIC" python26 setup.py install

   <snip long installation output ... during which C and fortran compilers
are called, both with proper -arch flags ...
   ending in:
       "error: could not create
'/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/scipy':
Permission denied"

and then

>>> sudo python26 setup.py install

    <then all copying is done ... the main compilations that build the .so
files and use the C and fortran compilers are not done again .... , so this
is really short >

And now it works fine. Yay!

But I have a few questions:
   a) the syntax of that command that you gave me is new to me.   I'm not an
expert in make files, and I don't really instand the way that the scipy
setup.py  module commands interact with the setting of compiler flags.  I
wouldn't have known how to put together a command like this -- where would I
look to learn about this?  Is it a make file thing?  A scipy thing?   I feel
dumb asking this, but ...

   b) Why did it fail with sudo?   What would I need to do to make it work
with sudo?   Sorry this is dumb too, it's prbably a unix thing I should know
but  again, I don't.

   c) Why would having built numpy from the svn have avoided the need for
this?  Is there something different about the way that that numpy retains or
exposes information about the compiler flags that were used to build it?

Sorry for all these ignorant questions.

Dan