[SciPy-user] "smooth" plots

Jonathan Guyer guyer at nist.gov
Wed Apr 1 15:29:04 EDT 2009

On Apr 1, 2009, at 3:22 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

> straightforward thing to do would be to do a coarse sampling of your
> function, spline fit it, and then evaluate the spline finely. This is,
> of course, approximate, but probably not too bad.

That's probably a reasonable approach for my immediate need.

> There is no adaptive sampling in scipy. That would require much more
> information about the screen geometry and line thicknesses.

I fully expected to have to tell it what I thought was "good" or
"smooth", but I'd hoped to find something that would automate the
guesses. I've got some papers on it around here someplace; I just was
hoping to exploit somebody else's labor.

> You might want to check SAGE for this
> functionality; they would often have need for it.

Good idea, thanks.