[SciPy-user] Explanation of different edge modes in scipy.ndimage

Kurt Smith kwmsmith at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 13:09:59 EDT 2008

Hello,

I'm doing some gaussian filtering of periodic 2D arrays using
scipy.ndimage.gaussian_filter.  There is a 'mode' argument that is set to
'reflect' by default.  In _ni_support.py:34 there is a conversion function,
'_extend_mode_to_code' that gives the different modes available.  For
periodic data I believe I should use 'wrap', but I'm interested to know what
the other modes mean, esp the difference between 'reflect' and 'mirror'.
For the record, the modes defined are 'nearest', 'wrap', 'reflect',
'mirror', and 'constant'.  For future reference, is there a place where
these arguments are documented?

Thanks,

Kurt