[SciPy-user] where is models.py?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Oct 21 02:19:58 EDT 2008

Wes McKinney wrote:
> What is the timeline for the 0.7 release? I use the models package
> extensively and would personally be interested in developing it
> sooner rather than later if it could potentially be a part of the new
> release.

IIRC, the main problem of the models package was its dependency on
weave. I am not familiar with weave much, but I think the consensus was
it was not adapted for scipy packages: it causes some build issues
(since weave itself is in scipy, there is a bootstrap problem for once).
So if you rewrote the part which depends on weave, it could be
reincluded in scipy.

But to be honest, I think we should not accept more code in scipy: scipy
is already quite big, and there is not enough man power. More code means
more maintenance problems. Would it be a big problem for you if the code
was put in a scikit ?

In any case, I am strongly against any new code for scipy 0.7. We are
already really late, there are tons of bugs, and not many people fixing
them. Adding code just make it worse at this point.

cheers,

David