[SciPy-user] where is models.py?

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 20 23:02:38 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 5:54 PM, Alan G Isaac <aisaac at american.edu> wrote:
> models.py seems to have been moved?

Assuming you are referring to the models package, I removed it in August:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/changeset/4639
(If not, sorry for the confusion.)

I sent an email to the list before hand explaining that
scipy.stats.models wasn't ready for release and proposed removing it
so that we could move forward on the 0.7 release.  I haven't looked at
the code since then, but as I recall there were several broken tests
and some open questions about what the API should be.  I spoke with
Jonathan Taylor (he wrote the package) and he said he wasn't going to
have time in the near future to work on it.

This is very unfortunate since the statistical models package provides
some really useful functionality and I would love to see it in the 0.7
release.  For the time being, it is living (and hopefully developing)
in the nipy project:  https://launchpad.net/nipy
Once we get it working and clean up the API, we will ask for a code
review before contributing it to scipy.  Clearly, we should have done
this in the first place, but live and learn I guess.  Our hope is that
we will be able to get it in for the scipy 0.8 release.

We would love to have other contributors.  If anyone is interested in
helping, please let me know.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman