[SciPy-user] npfile deprecated?

Steve Schmerler elcorto at gmx.net
Wed Oct 15 18:37:31 EDT 2008

On Oct 15 14:07 -0500, Robert Kern  wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:12, Steve Schmerler <elcorto at gmx.net> wrote:

[...]
> > However, I found that in
> > the current svn HEAD, the scipy.io.npfile docstring says that it is
> > deprecated and I should use ndarray.tofile() and numpy.fromfile()
> > instead. But with the latter, I can't control byteorder, row- or
> > column-major order etc. That's a bit puzzling.
> >
> > I admitt that I haven't followed the development of the new numpy file
> > format very closely (since npfile worked nicely so far).  So, is the
> > .npy/.npz way the current standard to store platform-independent binary
> > arrays with all metainfo?
>
> Yup.

Ah OK, thanks.

Regarding that docstrings, what about removing the lines

"You can achieve the same effect as using npfile, using ndarray.tofile
and numpy.fromfile."

from the np.deprecate_with_doc() text? The tofile/fromfile route doesn't
provide the same functionallity. It's confusing, since their docstrings
even discourage their usage for cross-platform case.

best,
steve