[SciPy-user] 64 bit and 32 bit on Ubuntu

fred fredmfp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 11:40:59 EDT 2008

Anne Archibald a écrit :

> I think memory is the only major reason to prefer 64 bits. The speed
> difference will probably be minimal. But having a 64-bit address space
> means that if your applications get too big for RAM they just slow
> down, as opposed to crashing and forcing you to rewrite them. You will
> also find, I think, that running in 32-bit mode you cannot access the
> last gigabyte or so of physical RAM. This can make a big difference
> too.

I have computed interpolation on 3D data (50x50x50) using kriging method.

On the same computer (Core2 Duo), the same OS (debian lenny), same
configuration (same packages), same compiler (f2py with ifort 10.1),
same options (-xT on both arch), I get:

on i686 arch : 3358 seconds

on x86_64 arch : 2130 seconds

I don't say this is relevant, or whatsoever.
I only say: that's it ;-)

However, I would be happy to hear some comment/objection about this result.

Only my 2 cts.

Cheers,

--
Fred