[SciPy-user] scipy 0.7.0.dev4373 + atlas FAILED (failures=2, errors=12)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon May 19 08:04:02 EDT 2008

Xavier Gnata wrote:
> Indeed, scipy is very easy to compile when the lib are installed.
>
> well atlas using the package is ok.
> umfpack is not on my ubuntu.
> Yes I'm able to compile scipy but it complains that umfpack (or
> libsparesuite...) is missing when I run the scipy.test().
>
> Maybe the scipy.test() should clearly split the errors in two groups :
> One group including "real" bugs and one reporting that libs a missing
> but that it is *not* a problem if you do not plan to use this part of scipy

Yes, it is a problem, I agree. There are too many dependencies in scipy,
with too much magic to make some things work. It would be much better to
cut the dependencies, and support fully a restricted set instead of
supporting many things at 50 %.

> I do agree that the doc should tell the user to use the .deb and I think
> all this stuff be just vanish when gfortran will be the default compiler.

I do not share your optimism :) People will still have trouble with
atlas, etc...

> Cheers,
> Xavier
> ps : I'm not sure but I don't think you can compile the kernel using icc
> ;). the kernel is written in gcc qnd not in C :)

You would be surprised :)

ftp://download.intel.com/support/performancetools/c/linux/sb/linuxkernelbuildwhitepaper.pdf

Looks easier than building gcc with a non glibc is more difficult, though.