[SciPy-user] FITS images with header-supplied axes?

Keflavich keflavich at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 12:38:03 EDT 2008

> But I'm not sure you understand what you are asking for with regard to matplotlib. The new transforms stuff should make it much easier to display the sky coordinates in the interactive display. The axis labeling is a different matter. Suppose your image (let's say it's 1Kx1K for the sake of discussion) is rotated 45 degrees with regard to north (either way, it doesn't really matter). What would you expect to see for axis labels? I don't think it is at all obvious how people would want labeling to be done along the edges of the image. I can imagine someone wanting axes or grids superimposed on the image itself, but that's not quite the same thing. Do you want the image rotated so that it is resampled on to RA and Dec and displayed that way?

I was thinking no resampling, just put an RA/DEC grid and fit the
image into it as well as it can be.  I don't know if it's possible to
display rotated pixels, but that would be the most useful behavior in
this case.

I'm not sure I understand how the transforms would make it easier to
display sky coordinates without labeling axes, though.  Are you saying
that if the image is already sampled in RA/DEC (or whatever coordinate
system) space, then it should be easy to display the RA/DEC
coordinates on the axes?

Thanks,
Adam