[SciPy-user] Numpy/Cython Google Summer of Code project idea

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Mon Mar 24 20:35:14 EDT 2008

Hi Alan

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 8:50 PM, Alan McIntyre <alan.mcintyre at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 4:57 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  As far as Pyrex/cython, if you know pyrex, you'll be OK with cython.
>  >  It's only better than pyrex, but is as far as I know mostly, if not
>  >  fully compatible with pyrex.
>
>  I don't have a problem doing any of that, so I'll try to
>  re-familiarize myself my numpy and Cython and see how hard it looks.
>  However, if somebody is already planning on submitting a proposal for
>  one or both of these projects, please let me know so we're not
>  competing with each other needlessly.  If anybody is interested in
>  mentoring these, and can offer any advice (or suggestions for other
>  things that need doing), I'd be glad to hear from you.

Cython integration with NumPy would be tremendously useful.  I
mentioned earlier the Sage GSOC project:

http://wiki.cython.org/DagSverreSeljebotn/soc/details

It would be good to talk to them (they hang out on #sage-devel on
freenode.net) to hear what the current status is.  As a start, we need

 - Multi-dimensional indexing
   print x[0,1]
   print x[:3,1]

   x[0,1] = 1
   x[:,1] = [1,2,3]

 - Fancy indexing
   print x[[0,3,5]]

   x[[0,3,5]] = [12,15,18]

 - Broadcasting (maybe nothing needs to be done to get this working, I
haven't investigated)
   x = array([1,2,3])
   x = x + 3

The SAGE project addresses a fairly high-level abstraction, and, while
that sounds like a good plan in the long run, a more numpy-specific
solution would benefit us too, and *may* be easier to implement.

Regards,
Stéfan