[SciPy-user] How to forbid a standard output of OpenOpt solvers

Mclean Edwards mcleane at math.ubc.ca
Thu Mar 13 12:49:51 EDT 2008

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, 302302 wrote:

> Hi,
> I've used linear solver (cvxopt_glpk) from OpenOpt. Can I somehow forbid a printing description of solving problem to the standard output?
> I supposed there should be some parameter in the running command, but I can't find any useful documentation with this topic.

My clunky solution to this problem in general is by defining a class:

class StandardOutputEater:
     def write(self, string):
         pass

Then when I need to disable standard output:

#turn off standard output
saveout = sys.stdout
sys.stdout = StandardOutputEater()

When you want standard output again, call:

sys.stdout = saveout

This gets the job done in all such cases.

This is also useful to quickly turn off some self-reporting messages every
once and a while.  (Such as when you demo some code still under
development to an interested party.)

Cheers,

Mclean