[SciPy-user] Numpy/Cython Google Summer of Code project idea

Alan McIntyre alan.mcintyre at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 18:18:08 EST 2008

>   A specific project along these lines, that would be very beneficial
>   for numpy could be:
>
>   - Creating new matrix types in cython that match the cvxopt matrices.
>   The creation of new numpy array types with efficient code would be
>   very useful.
>
>   - Rewriting the existing ndarray subclasses that ship with numpy, such
>   as record arrays,  in cython.  In doing this, benchmarks of the
>   relative performance of the new code should be obtained.

What level of experience do you think would be necessary for the
student for this? I've got a fair amount of Python & C experience, and
I've used numpy and Pyrex (but not Cython) in the past.  I wouldn't
mind putting in some time to become familiar with the particulars
before submitting a project proposal.