[SciPy-user] [Newbie] High-performance plotting of large datasets

Stef Mientki stef.mientki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 14:11:25 EST 2008

hi Gael,

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:29:11PM +0100, Stef Mientki wrote:
>
>> And now I get a strange feeling, ...
>> ... that I'm working on some kind of traits,
>> maybe a lot less sophisticated,
>> but on the other hand much easier ;-)
>>

> Neware, you might be reinventing the wheel.
Don't think so, let's say I'm trying to make an octagon,
not as well as a wheel, but better than a square.
(or am I creating a hoovercraft ;-)

We  started this discussion in november last year,
I had the plan to use Vision to develop a LabView like environment.
You were the one who told me that Enthought's product based on TraitsUI
would be the best.
I agreed with you, but as nobody has seen the Enthought product,
and it would last to the end of 2007 before it was made public,
I decided that it didn't fit my time schedule.
(And by now I still haven't seen anything from Enthought ;-)

Going for thé best, is not always thé best choice,
if we would go for fusion now,
you wouldn't be able to read this mail ;-)

>  As you try to take your ideas
> further, you will probably end up with the same problems Traits ahd to
> face three years ago. I don't believe in the "this is too complicated for
> me, let me reinvent something similar but different" approach.
>
> Anyhow, I which you good luck. I am interested in what might come out,
> however I'll stick with Traits, because I know it has been used for years
> in real-world large project and is now at its third major version, with
> many changes benefiting from experience.

I agree, Traits might be a very good choice (once you've mastered it),
so again I fully agree there's no single argument to leave Traits,
but there are a few obstacles to start with Traits.

cheers,
Stef