[SciPy-user] scipy build with gcc on solaris problems

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 11:29:46 EST 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 5:29 AM, John Reid <j.reid at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk> wrote:

>  John Reid wrote:
>  > Also when I import scipy.optimize I have the following error. Could
>  > easy_install be using the solaris CC compiler? Would this cause this
>  > problem?
>  >

>  I found out how to change the default compiler with easy_install but now
>   I am told I cannot compile the code on Solaris with gcc:

Using --compiler=gcc doesn't help, actually. That option chooses
between different classes of compilers rather than specific
executables; 'gcc' is not an option. Look at "python setup.py
build_ext --help-compiler" for the available options. Almost
certainly, you shouldn't change it. The only real choices are for
Windows and old Mac OS.

The correct compiler *should* be picked up from the Python Makefile
which is stored in your Python installation. Usually, you will need
the same compiler that built your Python.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco