[SciPy-user] problems with python and numpy

Sat Jun 21 15:54:06 EDT 2008

Mike Conroy wrote:
> ... when I open python in an directory other than c:\ or perhaps c:\python25,
 > and then attempt to load numpy (or pymc which also loads numpy) I get:
> the following error from tempfile.py
> "from random import Random as _Random   ImportError: cannot import name
> Random"
Here's how to debug this:
Run python -v  (You'll get a lot of output -- -v shows every import).
Then to the prompt type "import numpy".  Somewhere near the end you
will find enough information about where things started going wrong.

-Scott