[SciPy-user] Mlab doesn't work

Alexander Borghgraef alexander.borghgraef.rma at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 08:07:08 EDT 2008

I've been playing with mlab some more, and I ran into another problem.
I upgraded to enthought 2.7.1 to get rid of the mayavi.tools thing,
and tried plotting some things, which worked fine. Yay. Then I tried
to use mlab in my existing code, and I kept running into the following
error:

 python: Python/ceval.c:2624: PyEval_EvalCodeEx: Assertion `tstate !=
((void *)0)' failed.
 Abort

After commenting out nearly everyting, it seemed that there was some
incompatibility between mlab and pylab (which I use for 2D plotting).
For example, this works fine:

  from enthought.mayavi import mlab
  from scipy import lena
  mlab.surf(lena())

But this results in the above mentioned error:

  import pylab
  from enthought.mayavi import mlab
  from scipy import lena
  mlab.surf(lena())

All .py files were run with ipython -wthread. Calling an mlab function
when pylab is loaded results in this crash. Pylab functions OTOH are
fine when mayavi.mlab is loaded. Is this a known problem? Is this
being fixed in 3.0.1b? Is there a workaround?

--
Alex Borghgraef