[SciPy-user] [Fwd: 3D interpolation over irregular data]

José María García Pérez josemaria.alkala at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 05:18:50 EDT 2008

Mark,
>From my experience working with RBF, they work pretty well even when you use
few points for the interpolation. They track non linear behavior very well.
I have worked with RBF with very big FEM models (200000-500000 grid points)
and with more than 3D (in other disciplines), but I don't take all the
points at the same. What I would do is to use for example the 100 nearest
points to the geometric point where you want to interpolate (probably with
10 would be enough). That's something you can try: test using 10, 20, 50,
100 points, and you will see that the difference is small pretty soon, and
for sure smaller that the error you may expect from a CFD simulation.
Hope this tip helps!
José M.