[SciPy-user] Frequency content of a transient signal

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Jul 23 23:23:55 EDT 2008

Nils Wagner wrote:
> Fine. Let's start with the example from the link
>
> How do I produce the nice spectrograms

matplotlib has a function specgram, which mimics the matlab's one, and
should do what you want. You will need to adapt the window size to the
timescale of your transients, while keeping in mind that the frequency
resolution of your spectrogram is dependent on the window size (the
shorter the window, the cruder your frequency resolution is). If you
need more elaborate time-frequency representation, then wavelet, or
things like matching pursuit may be adapted, but they are not trivial to
use/code if you are new to signal processing. For audio signals, which I
am more familiar with, wavelets are generally not useful.

On matching pursuit:

http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Matching_pursuit (I wanted to start
wrapping the MPTK in a scikits, but never got the time to start
something: http://mptk.irisa.fr/).

cheers,

David