[SciPy-user] SciPy builds and installs but won't import due to f2c

Selwyn-Lloyd McPherson smcphers at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 23 18:21:05 EDT 2008

Unfortunately, scipy doesn't seem to want to build without LAPACK --
I've tried lots of different LAPACK distributions. I've tried using
ATLAS with LAPACK and ATLAS without LAPACK (built LAPACK standalone)
with lots of different flags but nothing seems to work. I've tried
rebuilding the f2c libraries but it still comes up with the "undefined
symbol" MAIN__ error. I've read here that inserting a

int MAIN__( )
{ return(0);
}

in the codebase somewhere might fix the problem but I'm not sure where
it could go.

Is there any reason that scipy / lapack needs f2c? Can't it just use
f2py?

Selwyn-Lloyd