[SciPy-user] Scipy optimize fmin_l_bfgs_b gives me an obscure error

Isaul Vargas isaulv at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 19:17:58 EDT 2008

Here is how my function looks like:

xt =  scipy.optimize.fmin_l_bfgs_b(obj_grad_func, xcur, args =
(b,h,Beta,R,wR,wh,muh, alpha_b, beta_b, BN, sp), maxfun = 1000)

the args are mostly arrays except for BN and SP which are dicts that contain
various flags.

In the debugger, I tried the following:
xcur is a 1,3 array with the values 1,1,0.
I check the flags of xcur and I see it is not fortran contiguous.
I do a copy: xcur2 = xcur.copy('f')
and now I get this error message:
*** error: failed in converting 10th argument `wa' of _lbfgsb.setulb to
C/Fortra
n array

There is no variable 'wa' in any of my functions, so I am not sure why this
failing.

Also, how do I setup the bounds, I am not clear on how to set it. I have a
list of upper bounds (an array of 3 values) and a list of lower bounds Not
sure how to set them.