[SciPy-user] optimization advice needed

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 09:29:43 EST 2008

Hi,
If  a and b 'are slowing changing', do these have a pattern, a sort of
distribution or can you make some assumption about the changes? You
really need to address this aspect because it will determine what you
can and can not do.

If you can model or approximate the changes in a and b then you can
apply a vast range of methods. For example, if  a is centered around
some value and varies, you can model it as a expected value  (fixed
effect) and the associated variance (random effect) in a mixed effects
model. This can be 'easily' extended to hierarchal, multilevel and
nonlinear models where your f() becomes some known function.

If not you are probably resigned to having to re-solve the problem by
throwing away the old data because a and b have changed sufficiently.
This appears what you are doing in your second point. This is
inefficient because it wastes information and any patterns are
ignored.

Regards
Bruce