[SciPy-user] Integrating

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 11:17:46 EST 2008

On 14/01/2008, Tommy Grav <tgrav at mac.com> wrote:

> I have used the SWIFT package yes. For the problem I have before me it
> is a little overkill :). I need to run a lot of small integrations
> with a lot of
> input/output of orbits and plotting. Since code development is much
> faster
> in python I am mostly my coding in that these days, as it is
> significantly
> easier to use in handling input/output of text files. Since the
> integrations
> are a a little slow in pure python to be efficient I was looking for an
> interface to some C/C++ integrator to speed that part up :)
>
> I am working on some astronomy python code. Mostly orbital mechanics
> with orbital determination and integration. The code is in a very early
> stage of development and has a tendency of undergoing major changes
> in the underlaying class structure as I add new functionality.

If your requirements are really mild, scipy has odeint. This is based
on the routine LSODA from ODEPACK, which I believe is a Runge-Kutta
4/5 integrator. Its interface is a bit limited, but it's quick and
easy and requires no additional packages. scipy also has an integrator
based on VODE, which I know even less about.

Anne