[SciPy-user] allclose friend

lorenzo bolla lbolla at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 03:44:07 EST 2008

What do you expect to be handled NaN?
It looks like allclose() gives False with NaN, because NaN==NaN is always
False.
Shouldn't it use numpy.isnan?
Can't you use simply == to obtain a boolean array?

In [21]: x
Out[21]: array([  1.,   2.,  Inf,  NaN])

In [22]: y
Out[22]: array([  1.,   0.,  Inf,  NaN])

In [23]: z
Out[23]: array([  1.,   2.,  Inf,  NaN])

In [24]: x == y
Out[24]: array([ True, False,  True, False], dtype=bool)

In [25]: x == z
Out[25]: array([ True,  True,  True, False], dtype=bool)

In [26]: numpy.allclose(x,y)
Out[26]: False

In [27]: numpy.allclose(x,z)
Out[27]: False

L.

On 1/11/08, Tom Johnson <tjhnson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2008 6:02 PM, Tom Johnson <tjhnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > allclose() is neat in that it handles the 'special' cases of inf and
> > nan.  Does there exist a similar function close()? That is, I want to
> > do elementwise float comparisons of two arrays (returning an array of
> > booleans)...and I want all the special cases to be handled.  It seems
> > like this should be an obvious function. There are enough lines in
> > allclose() that I don't want to have to reimplement it everytime on my
> > own.
> >

> I know I can just loop through the arrays calling allclose on
> singlets, but is this the preferred way to do it?

Lorenzo Bolla
lbolla at gmail.com
http://lorenzobolla.emurse.com/